Former UW wide receiver Quintez Cephus is back on the football team.
Wisconsin made the announcement Monday afternoon, hours after the school reinstated him. Officials are still working their way through eligibility issues before he will be allowed to play in a game.
Cephus was suspended from the football team last August after he was charged with two counts of sexual assault stemming from an incident in April 2018. He was then expelled from school following a Title IX investigation of which he was unable to take part in because of its potential impact on his criminal case. Cephus was found not guilty on both counts earlier this month, was reinstated by the school and now has rejoined the football team.
Cephus’ decision to remain in Madison has some caught off guard wondering why he’d want to stay at UW.
“Because of my coaches and teammates. Them doing as much as they could to support me through this whole thing,” Cephus said. “I have no reason to run from Wisconsin.”
Cephus was UW’s top receiver in 2017, catching 30 passes for 501 yards and five touchdowns before a leg injury sidelined him for the final five games. He returned healthy in the spring of 2018 and was running with the first-team offense before charges were filed in August of 2018.
“I’m ready to win football games and start getting back to my education,” Cephus said. In response to whether he’s ready to play right now, he replied “I expect to do it at a very high level.”
Adding Cephus back into Wisconsin’s offense is significant.
The Badgers open up the season on the road at South Florida on August 30th.